Connect with us

General News

Courts Declare Huduma Namba Invalid

Published

on

Courts declare Huduma Namba invalid

The High Court has declared Huduma Namba invalid after ruling that the law wasn’t followed in its roll-out.

Justice Jairus Ngaah ruled on Thursday, October 14, that the Government failed to conduct data impact assessment before rolling out the cards in November last year, contravening the Constitution in the process.

Law scholar Yash Pal Ghai and Katiba Institute had, in November 2020, challenged the roll-out of the cards over lack of guarantee against theft or misuse of Kenyans’ personal information.

The lobby group argued that the Government failed to subject the fresh registration of Kenyans to data protection impact assessment (DPIA), a requirement under the law.

The assessment is aimed at identifying risks that could arise due to a breach of privacy, loss of data and unlawful use of information like names, date of birth, postcode and residences.

The Government started issuing the cards in early December 2020, after stating that the current National Identification Cards would cease being valid in December this year.

President Uhuru Kenyatta launched the Huduma Namba mass registration on April 2, 2019.

Meanwhile, an application by Jacqueline Ntuyabaliwe, the widow of the late Tanzanian media mogul, Reginald Mengi, that her late husband had no mental ability to make a valid Will, will be heard and determined.

This is after the Court of Appeal rejected legal challenges against the former Miss Tanzania’s application seeking revision of a decision of the High Court that quashed a Will that was allegedly written by Mengi, reports The Citizen.

The IPP trailblazer and philanthropist died in Dubai, UAE, in 2019. He was 75.

The Will, purportedly made in 2017, cited Ntuyabaliwe and their twin children as the beneficiary of the billionaire businessman’s wealth, estimated in 2014 by Forbes to be worth over $560 million.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

General News

Kirinyaga Man Kills wife, Four Children

Published

on

Kirinyaga man kills wife, four children

A 35-year-old man who murdered his wife and four children turned himself to the Kirinyaga Police station.

Rukenya assistant chief Kenneth Murimi confirmed that the bodies were still at the scene when police visited.

The 35-year-old man identified as Paul Njuki, is still in police custody, assisting investigations.

The slain victims have been identified as wife Millicent Muthoni, 38, Nelly Wawira, 13, Gifton Bundi aged seven, five-year-old Sheromit Wambui and Clifton Njuk aged one.

Police went to the crime scene at around 2230hrs and found the scene intact.

The bodies were in their beds, with multiple stab wounds on the heads.

Police stated that one murder weapon was retrieved.

The suspect is yet to lead the officers to where he claims he threw the axe he confessed he used to attack his family.

Efforts to remove the bodies to Kerugoya county mortuary are ongoing but the heavy rains made the roads impassable.

At some point, police said, the vehicles ferrying the bodies were stuck.

Continue Reading

General News

I Stabbed My Husband To Death – Woman Confesses To Court

Published

on

I Stabbed My Husband To Death - Woman Confesses To Court

Elizabeth Wawira, a middle-aged woman confessed to stabbing her husband to death on July 18, 2021.

 The woman who comes from  Embu on Thursday said she fatally killed Ngari Mbaka at their Ngiori Village home in Mbeere South following a drunken fight.

Mr Mbaka was confirmed dead at the Embu Level 5 Hospital a few days into his treatment.

Miss Elizabeth Wawira had earlier denied killing her spouse.

But, on Thursday, she notified the court that she wanted to change her plea, saying she’d entered into a negotiated agreement with the prosecution.

The accused told Embu High Court judge Lucy Njuguna that she did not intend to kill her partner, and that she accidentally stabbed him during a domestic fight.

Wawira said she and Mbaka were drunk during the dispute.

“On that day, my husband arrived home at 9:30pm. He handed over to me a few tomatoes and meat for dinner. As I was preparing the meat, a fight broke between us,” said Wawira.

It was during the melee that she stabbed Mbaka in the abdomen.

Mbaka was rescued by his brother, who took him to the Embu Level 5 Hospital for treatment. The victim, however, died while undergoing treatment.

Postmortem indicated that Mbaka died of injuries in the abdomen.

Mr Leah Mati who led the prosecution prayed the court that Wawira was seeking a noncustodial sentence.

Her lawyer, Muthoni Ndeke, told Justice Lucy Njuguna that her client was remorseful.

Ndeke asked the court to issue a lenient sentence on Wawira, saying the suspect is her family’s sole bread-winner, and that her children aged 17 and 10 have been suffering since she was taken into custody.

Justice Njuguna ordered that a pre-sentencing report be prepared and submitted to the court ahead of December 6, 2021 mention.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending