Deputy President William Ruto took his campaigns to Vihiga County as seething rivalry among Kenya Kwanza affiliate parties played out yesterday.
The coalition’s presidential candidate spoke at the Kasarani grounds in Mbale town as the supporters of Sabatia parliamentary aspirants Clement Sloya (UDA) and Emmanuel Ayodi of Musalia Mudavadi’s ANC clashe.
The DP cautioned Kenya Kwanza supporters that the rivalry could cost the alliance seats before ending his three-day campaign tour of the region.
The Presidential candidate told UDA, ANC and Ford Kenya aspirants to set their eyes on winning the coalition majority seats in Western Kenya.
Deputy President William Ruto slammed some of the rowdy youth, who demanded their candidates be given a chance to speak. Dr Ruto had rough time calming down the rival supporters.
“You are now spoiling this meeting. Be respectful to the organiser of this event and if any of you was sent to disrupt the meeting, please just leave,” he said.
“Young man, stop answering me. Who are you to engage me? if you don’t want to be here, just leave.”
He urged Kenyans to welcome peaceful campaigns. “We have stated as Kenya Kwanza that we will carry out peaceful elections with no violence by respecting each one of us and as a leader I will not allow anyone to cause violence in our rally,” he said.
He charged the electorates to attention to all Kenya Kwanza candidates in order to make the right choice.
“I urge you to listen to what Ayodi and Sloya and other candidates have to say and wait for the voting day to make your decision. Stop shouting and disrupting meetings.”
William Ruto To Deal With ‘State Capture’ If Elected President
Deputy President William Ruto has vowed to that his government if given the mandate to lead the country in the August 9 polls will deal with hands-on with ‘State capture.’
According to the Presidential candidate, state policies are being used to facilitate the theft of public funds as corruption had been absorbed into government.
DP William Ruto made these calims while speaking to the Reuters in an interview.
“We have no intention of prosecuting President Uhuru Kenyatta, but we have every intention of dealing with State capture. It cannot be business as usual,” the United Democratic Alliance (UDA) presidential candidate said.
DP Ruto’s running mate, Rigathi Gachagua also alluded to said State capture, saying those involved will be dealt with should Kenya Kwanza form the next government.
“We will not go after individuals. We will go after all those in state capture and conflict of interest,” Gachagua said in a joint media broadcast.
The Mathira MP vaguely explained that it was “people in power who have used or are using their offices to use up public resources to their advantage,” when asked who or what State capture was.
The DP has also revealed plans of bringing to end the Kenya’s national debt, which currently stands at Sh9 trillion, in an exclusive interview with international media.
He said the country has the capacity to handle the debt situation, and that they as Kenya Kwanza have mapped out plans of how to go about it, should they win.
“We will put the brakes on more borrowing. It may not come to zero but we will begin the journey to slow down on more borrowing,” the DP said.
Campaigns hit fever pitch and candidates scramble for airtime to sell their agendas with just eighteen (18) days left as Kenya will soon be headed to the General Election.
IEBC Clears Sonko To Run For Mombasa Governor
Sonko has increased the intense in the race for Mombasa county which already has aspirants from the UDA and ODM parties.
Sonko has finally been cleared by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to contest for the Mombasa gubernatorial seat.
On Thursday, July 14 2022, Sonko in the accompany of his supporters was given the green light.
The former Nairobi governor was invited by the IEBC to submit his letter for clearance as per a letter addressed to him earlier.
“The venue will be the IEBC Mombasa County offices and you are expected to submit your papers on July 14, 2022 between 2pm and 4pm,” Swalha Ibrahim the returning officer said.
The letter to Sonko came after a high court ruled that the politician doesn’t be disqualified from vying for governor noting that the governor was eligible to run for office. The commission said it could not head to the courts to appeal the decision as time could not allow.
Addressing the media after the clearance, Sonko said his candidature seeks to solve the problems of the people in the Coastal city and that he was bringing a new awakening in the city.
Sonko said he was not worried about the short time time line he has to undertake the campaigns in the large city noting that he was drawing a campaign schedule to begin immediately.
“We must campaign, we have few days but we will utilize them properly. We can do two days per constituency or a day per constituency,” Sonko noted.